HAVE A GREAT (AND SAFE) MEMORIAL DAY!
Ah, Memorial Day – the long weekend that serves as the unofficial kickoff to summer – is almost here. It’s a time for road trips, barbecues and all kinds of outdoor activities in and around Indiana.
Of course, we at Harrington Hoch Insurance want your long weekend to be a safe one, too. So here are some things to keep in mind as you celebrate the holiday.
Having a barbecue?
A gathering of family and friends for a backyard barbecue is perhaps one of the most common Memorial Day celebrations. But playing with fire, even on your grill, can be dangerous. Stay safe with these tips, Richmond:
- Keep children stay away from hot surfaces at all times.
- When using a gas grill, make sure there are no leaks that could cause a fire or explosion. If you’re using charcoal, never apply lighter fluid to briquettes that are already burning, and make sure you wait until the coals are cool before discarding them. Have a fire extinguisher handy in case of emergency.
- Even if it starts raining, don’t use your grill indoors.
- If your yard has a pool, an adult should be present and alert at all times when children are near or in the water.
- If you’re serving alcohol at your party, make sure your guests have a safe ride home – or you could even host a Memorial Day sleepover!
Taking a road trip?
If you’re planning to hit the road in Indiana for the long weekend, keep in mind that you won’t be alone. Driving safely (and patiently) will make your holiday safer and more enjoyable. These tips from the American Red Cross can help.
- Make frequent stops along the way if your road trip is a long one.
- Clean your vehicle’s lights and windows before you leave, and turn on your headlights as dusk approaches (or during bad weather).
- Carry an emergency kit in your trunk, including food, water, blankets and safety gear.
- Research the weather forecast for your destination and planned route.
- Make sure someone knows about your travel plans.
- Need to entertain kids on a long car ride? Check out this great list of classic car games the whole family can enjoy: roadtripplanning.com/road-trip-games.php.
Heading out on a boat?
Boating is another classic Memorial Day weekend activity – and can be one of the most dangerous if basic safety precautions aren’t taken. Before you hit the water, check out these tips:
- Avoid alcohol when boating or swimming, and make sure those in control of the boat are operating it safely.
- Always wear a life jacket and ensure children do as well.
- Make sure children on the boat are supervised at all times.
Don’t forget the sun!
With any luck, it will be sunny on Memorial Day weekend – after all, it’s a lot more fun to be outside when it’s nice. But that means you need to take care of your skin, too, protecting against sunburn and heat stroke. Wear sunscreen with a high SPF (at least 30) and reapply throughout the day. Drink plenty of water, especially if you are consuming alcohol. And make sure children are protected from the sun.
Whether you’re hitting the highway, the water or just your own Richmond back yard for Memorial Day, taking a little time to think about safety can make a world of difference. Enjoy the holiday!
For further questions and assistance, please contact Harrington Hoch Insurance at 765-962-9502
Content provided by: Safeco Insurance
Comments are closed